Monday, August 23, 2010

Book Review - "Whisper in the Wind" by Maureen Lang

If you haven’t guessed by now, I love to read. I am also a huge history buff, so if you combine the two and throw in a little romance, I am hooked!

This month, I was given a copy of “Whisper on the Wind” by Maureen Lang to review. I took it with me to Orlando for MOPS Convention, knowing that I would have lots of airport waiting time.

Like I said, I love history and one of my favorite topics is World War I. It is not a subject that is written about often, especially in fiction books. Needless to say, I was excited to get started.

Whisper on the Wind“In Brussels at the height of WWI, a small underground newspaper is the only thing offering the occupied city hope – and real news of the war. The paper may only speak at a whisper amongst the shouts of the German army, but Edward Kirkland will do anything to keep it in print. Isa Lassone is a Belgium socialite whose family fled Europe at the first rumblings of war. Now, two years later, she sneaks back across enemy lines, determined to rescue Edward – the man she has loved since she was a child.”

Maureen Lang does a great job of drawing you into the story and characters lives right away. You will enjoy getting to know Edward and Isa and following their adventures in occupied Belgium.

One thing that impressed me was the historical accuracy. Now, I am not an expert, but can usually pick out inaccuracies and it ruins the rest of the book. Ms. Lang did her research and put a lot of time into drafting a story that worked with the events of the time period. I especially enjoyed that she uses real quotes throughout the book from the actual La Libre Belgique. It was a very nice bonus.

I hope you enjoy “Whisper on the Wind” as much as I did. In fact, I finished it before my plane landed!

Tyndale House Publishing provided me with a complimentary advance reader copy of this book.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment