Monday, November 15, 2010

Book Review - The One Year Book of Encouragement

I truly believe that God is in control of everything, including the books that I receive to review. When I got "The One Year Book of Encouragement" in the mail, I opened it up right away to read the passage for the day and wept. It was just what I needed at that moment. 

If you have read any of my blog, you probably know that we are in the midst of a 400 day deployment. I am trying to juggle life, ministry and being a mom to six busy children without my husband. At this point in my life, I need all the encouragement that I can get!

The One Year Book of Encouragement: 365 Days of Inspiration and Wisdom for Your Spiritual Journey"The One Year Book of Encouragement is a collection of insights from assorted Christian authors, past and present—from Oswald Chambers and Philip Yancey to John Calvin and John Wesley. Draw encouragement every day from the wisdom of the ages with this One Year book—it’s bound to be a classic!"


I have thoroughly enjoyed this book and it has become a fixture on my bedside table next to my bible. With wisdom from such men and women of faith as C.S. Lewis and Joni Eareckson Tada, each page is filled with inspiration and encouragement for your spiritual journey. 

Every day includes a devotional, a prayer and a scripture verse and are the perfect length for a busy mom. I have found myself writing down the prayers and verses on note cards to read again, such as the one from August 19th: 

"Lord, you know my troubles. I lay all of them before you. Help me to do the right and wise things and to see your hand of mercy right now. Lead me into your ways of obedience and joy."

This is one of the best devotionals that I have read in a long while and one that I will continue to use.

*The fine print: The publisher provided me with a complementary copy of this book. The opinions expressed are all mine and I was not required to give a positive review. 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment